Thursday, August 12, 2010

so much for those eyes in the back of a mom's head!

so i spent part of my afternoon today at walmart with the girls. we were there, as always, a little longer than i expected and ran into eme's nap time. unlike the older two girls, she is a little more difficult to soothe when she's tired. i tried bribing her with candy and toys, but she wasn't interested. so as we are headed home, i am desperately trying to get her to quiet down (baby cries are "designed" to instill a sense of urgency and, boy, was i urgently trying to calm her!). i manage, while reaching an arm behind my seat, to locate her rejected paci under her leg and am attempting to put it back in her wide open mouth (at the same time, i'm watching the road, dodging a few pot holes, and moving over so a cop with his lights on can get by, then getting back over before i lose my place in line. but the more i try, the louder she's crying and jerking her head around to get away from me! why won't this paci go in?! and then i realize, as i'm pulling up to the stop light that will give me a bit of a break in the multi-tasking i've been attempting. her cries aren't sounding the least bit muffled as they should if i was getting the paci in the right spot.... so i twist around to see exactly where it is that i'm poking her. the poor thing had been putting up with me stabbing her in the eye with her paci for at least three miles!

i actually found this amusing, despite the crying (or perhaps the crying just finally snapped something in my brain and i've gone a bit insane). i kept thinking of all the jokes that could be used here:
1. stop crying or i'll give you something to cry about (my personal favorite)
2. it's all fun and games...until someone loses an eye
3. stop playing with that or you'll poke your eye out

those are the top three. now i must go because she's fussing again while i try to finish up. the paci is useless (though i do have it in the right place this time).

1 comment:

Jen@Because I can said...

Funny. My kids are convinced I do have eyes in the back of my head, since, to them, it always seems like I know what they are doing. I even helped the deception along by wearing my sunglasses on the back of head. Glad I've got them fooled!