Tuesday, August 10, 2010

things that i'd forgotten

1. how to shop with only one child: fai took the older girls to the pool yesterday so that i could run a couple of quick errands (and by "quick" i mean a couple hours). i took eme with me, obviously, because i'm the food source (the cow, if you will). seeing as i had gotten so used to have all three kids with me when i run errands, i figured just one (the one that doesn't talk or grab things, or throw tantrums over not getting something, or run up and down the aisles) would be a breeze! so i took her in without the sling to carry her, intending to simply grab my purchase, swipe my card, and be out in ten minutes. instead, i had to juggle her from arm to arm as she squirmed around (she's reached THAT age) while i dug through the shelves for what i wanted, comparing and evaluating. then i stood in a line longer than the mississippi doing the baby bounce to keep her entertained while i made small talk with the customers around me about her. then i saw a couple of toys that would be perfect for the girls' special gift to keep them occupied on the long drive to and from florida this weekend and had to engineer a way to transport them from the shelf into my hands, which were both full (one with the baby and the other with my new set of sheets). hmm....that was a tough one. but not as tough as getting my wallet out, swiping my card, and signing that stupid credit card slip that the pregnant lady behind the counter didn't see fit to hold for me until after i'd already finished signing it. all while holding a squirming, and now stinky and cranky, infant! all of these things would have been made much simpler if she had been able to walk, talk and carry things; or if i had simply remembered what it was really like to shop with one and been smart enough to bring the sling.

2. how much babies love long hair: i remember now, painfully. but there's nothing i can do to keep it away from her! i need a hair cut, but i can't get away from her long enough to get it since she's nursing every two hours or so. so i just keep having to pry her little fingers out of my hair, losing several strands each time in the process. soon, i won't need a hair cut. i'll have no hair.

3. how much i depended on a good night's sleep: that's just out the window, so i might as well not torture myself with the memories.

4. what spit up smells like at the end of the day: what's that stench? oh, yes. it's me.

5. how to calm a screaming baby: well, either i've forgotten or she doesn't know how to be soothed. seriously, what's wrong with her?

6. how much i'm capable of loving my children: but i remember now.

No comments: